Progress made on revising EU's firearms directive

30-Nov-2016 @ 13:00

No items found. No items found. No items found.

Progress made on revising EU's firearms directive


Negotiators are closing in on a balanced revision of the EU Firearms Directive, according to Conservative MEP Vicky Ford.

Internal Market spokesman Mrs Ford, who is steering the changes through the European Parliament, said that during the "trilogue" talks between the Parliament, Commission and Council, Parliament had rejected the Commission's proposals which would have caused significant problems for sports shooters and hunters.

The Parliament’s approach respects the rights of legal firearms owners including museums, military re-enactors and those involved in the film industry.

In addition, a loophole which allowed certain firearms to be considered as deactivated when in reality they were readily able to be reactivated has been closed. Such weapons were used in last year's Paris terrorist attacks.

"Parliament has defended its approach in making significant changes to the unpalatable and unworkable measures originally put forward by the Commission," Mrs Ford said.

The next round of trilogue talks take place on December 5. It is hoped to put the revised Directive to the Parliament early next year for approval.

Mrs Ford (Eastern England) said: "It is a time consuming process but we are determined to finalise a text which works for legal holders of firearms while addressing the loopholes and inconsistencies which have existed in the past."

ENDS


Note for Editors

More details on the trilogue talks can be found at https://t.co/Rg9QvSKNog

« Back